By Thams
BLOEMFONTEIN – Two foreign nationals have been arrested by the Bloemfontein police after a 33-year-old woman survived a brutal gender-based violence attack near Rooidam, outside Lourierpark, this week.
The Free State Police spokesperson, Thabo Covane said the police were alerted on Thursday, 13 November 2025, by a community member who found the victim severely injured and fighting for her life. According to Covane, the woman sustained a deep gash on her forehead and an open wound on her chin. She was rushed to a local hospital, where she is currently recovering.
Covane said that a preliminary investigation by the Parkweg Serious and Violent Crimes Unit, led by Lieutenant Colonel Maphoka Mabofe, revealed that the victim had been attacked by a shopkeeper who rented space on her property, along with his associate. The attack is believed to have been triggered after the victim issued the shopkeeper with an eviction notice, terminating their rental agreement.
“The shopkeeper had offered the woman a lift to a nearby mall but diverted the trip towards Lourierpark under the pretext of showing her a place where he and his friend “play golf. It was there that the attackers allegedly struck her with a blunt object,” he said.
The victim was able to provide investigators with crucial information once stabilised in hospital.
“A case of attempted murder was opened at Parkweg Police Station. The suspects, aged 35 and 36, were later traced and arrested in Chris Hani Square. Police also recovered a white Nissan NP200 believed to have been used during the attack, as well as a golf stick suspected to be the weapon, ” he added.
The pair are expected to appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court soon.
News Junction (Gold Standard)
.

